Roger Federer: ‘I’m not trying to be at same level as Nadal and Djokovic right now’
Roger Federer said he wants to achieve a “great level” in his comeback but he is not trying to “be at the same level” as Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic this soon.
The 39-year-old is playing in his second event since the 2020 Australian Open at this week’s Geneva Open, before heading to Roland Garros.
The Swiss legend returned at the Qatar Open in Doha in March after having two knee surgeries last year.
“I’m just concerned about where my game is at, the guys on tour are all back in a good rhythm. The level everybody is producing is great,” Federer said in a pre-event press conference.
“Obviously I want to achieve that again too. I need to do my thing. Of course, there is the question marks all around my level right now. We will find out a little bit more (after the first match).
“In practice, things have been going well. So, I’m happy there. When you come back from an injury, you are anyway in a different place from everyone else.
“I’m excited about the comeback. That’s what my focus needs to be on, and not about trying to be at the same level as Rafa and Novak right now. That’s not why I’m playing Geneva.”
Federer faces Pablo Andujar in the second round in Geneva today.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner