Roger Federer: ‘I haven’t set a date for retirement – I don’t need a fairy-tale ending’
Roger Federer has revealed he has not yet set a date for retirement, insisting he has no special desire for a big send-off.
Speculation has been rife for years that Federer would plan to end his career either at Wimbledon or in Basel.
However, as he prepares to make his comeback from double knee surgery in March, he says until he can assess his knee in competition it will be tough to make any plans at all anyway.
“My biggest wish is to finish my career on my terms,” Roger Federer told SRF.
“As I’ve said before, it doesn’t have to be a fairy-tale ending, it doesn’t have to be a Wimbledon victory, and then I’ll walk away.
“The most important thing for me is to be completely healthy again. And of course, that the fans can return to the stadiums. I followed tennis the last few months with melancholy.
“I haven’t set a specific date for the end of my career. We will now give it a go.
“For now, the goal is to play for the whole season. Then we’ll see how my body has reacted and how the results were.
“I just hope that everything will go well with the knee. I still have many wishes. I will just give it my all.
“I hope I can give the fans beautiful victories again and some beautiful emotions.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner