‘Roger Federer has five goals for 2021’, says former World No 1
A tennis legend said that Roger Federer has five main objectives for 2021 ahead of his comeback at the Qatar Open.
Roger Federer last played a competitive match at the 2020 Australian Open after suffering a knee injury, though makes his eagerly anticipated return next week.
Speaking to La Stampa, former World No 1 Björn Borg praised the achievements of 20-time Grand Slam champions Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.
Borg said: “Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are two of the strongest ever. I am rather impressed with how motivated and focused they are on the pitch.”
Despite making progress with his fitness and his knee injury, the Swiss star decided not to compete at the Australian Open and Borg believes this would have been a great opportunity.
He said: “It’s a pity Roger decided not to play in Australia, he had a chance,” Borg said.
Ahead of his return, Borg said that Federer has five main objectives for the 2021 season.
“For 2021 he has five goals: the first is to stay fit, the others are Wimbledon, the Olympics, the US Open, and the Laver Cup,” said Borg.
Federer faces a tough start to his Qatar Open, facing either the in-form Jeremy Chardy or recent hitting partner and Murray River Open champion Dan Evans in the second round.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner