‘Roger Federer is so good for tennis,’ says Marseille chief as he’s backed to win Wimbledon
Roger Federer has been backed to win Wimbledon this year by an ATP tournament director despite working his way back from double-knee-surgery.
Federer only made his comeback last week in Doha after more than 400 days on battling back from serious injury.
The comeback went relatively well considering, with him beating Dan Evans before losing out in the second round to eventual winner Nikoloz Basilashvili.
And, despite Federer approaching his 40th birthday this summer, Marseille tournament director Jean-Francois Caujolle is backing him to claim another title in SW19.
“Why not?” Caujolle answered when asked if he thought Roger Federer could win Wimbledon this year. “He is just amazing.
“He is as excited as when he was at 17-years-old so he can win on grass if he is totally fit.
“I also thought he could have beaten Nikoloz Basilashvili in Doha and gone far. He is so good for tennis.”
Federer will now not play again until next month after choosing to withdraw from Miami to focus on his training.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner