Federer dispatches awkward Vacek for grass win No.56
Roger Federer survived an “awkward” match against Jan Vacek to reach the quarter-finals of the Gerry Weber Open in Halle yesterday and post his 56th straight win on grass.
Roger Federer, who won 7-5, 6-3, didn’t have it all his own way against the world No.342. “It was difficult,” Federer said afterwards. “When it happens you can’t play your game and it isn’t working, then it’s a surprise. It was an awkward sort of match.”
Federer’s winning streak on grass includes 22 at Halle, dating back to 2003. He has won four titles there, each time before going on to win Wimbledon. Vacek, in contrast, has just one win on the ATP tour this season and normally plays on the lower-level Challenger Tour.
In other matches, No.5 seed Marcos Baghdatis beat French veteran Fabrice Santoro 6-4 6-3, while Nicolas Kiefer sent No.4 seed Mikhail Youzhny crashing out 6-2 5-7 6-3.
France’s Michael Llodra also reached the quarter-finals after beating Steve Darcis of Belgium 7-6(6) 7-6(3).
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner