‘He was a complete player, but Roger Federer destroyed him and his chances of a top career’
Roger Federer ‘destroyed’ Andy Roddick’s chances of earning the legacy that his talent deserved, says Florent Serra.
Roddick was the last top American male player, but only managed to win one Grand Slam – the 2003 US Open – and only spent 13 weeks at world number one in his whole career.
He lost three other Grand Slam finals, all to Roger Federer and all at Wimbledon, and Serra believes the Swiss star denied him the chance to challenge Pete Sampras in terms of titles.
“Andy Roddick was not only the victim of the emergence of Roger Federer but also of the general slowdown in surfaces,” Serra, a former world number 34, said.
“He was a powerful and complete player (a little weaker on the backhand side anyway) who, with his quality of service, should have won Wimbledon and the US Open several times if the surfaces had not slowed down.
“It is certain that his record against Federer shows how the Swiss has destroyed all possibilities for him to make a huge career and catch up with Pete Sampras.
“When we look at his record against Djokovic for example, we realise that he really had the level to compete with the Big 3 even if between 2007 and 2012, the Serb was not still at its best.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner