Roger Federer delivers huge update on future, saying: ‘I’m not far away’
Roger Federer has issued an update on his comeback plans, essentially ruling out any more appearances this year other than the Laver Cup and Basel.
Aside from a failed comeback attempt last year, Federer has been out of tennis for two-and-a-half years now due to a knee injury.
He has undergone three operations in an attempt to fix it, but even though he will be 41-years-old this summer, he says he is still planning on making a greater return to the ATP Tour next season.
“I haven’t planned more than the Laver Cup and Basel yet,” Roger Federer told tagesanzeiger.ch.
“After Basel, the season is over anyway. It’s important for me to get fit again so that I can train fully. Once I’ve done that, I can choose how many tournaments I play and where.
“The Laver Cup is a good start, I don’t have to play five matches in six days.
“I will have be able to do that in Basel. That’s why I have to prepare for it in practice. I’m curious myself what’s still to come. But I’m hopeful, I’ve come a long way. I’m not far away. The next three or four months will be extremely important.”
Today, @rogerfederer opened one of 31 nature-oriented playgrounds in Switzerland that @rogerfedererfdn financed. 69 more will follow. I spoke to him about his comeback plans. He sounds optimstic: “I haven’t planned more than the Laver Cup and Basel yet.” (1/6) 📷Remo Inderbitzin pic.twitter.com/SzHN8oK3AR
— Simon Graf (@SimonGraf1) June 11, 2022
Asked if he still plans on making it back onto the ATP Tour, Federer replied: “Yes, definitely.
“How and where, I don’t know yet. But that would be the idea. Definitely.”
🎾 Free >> Join our legendary newsletter
🎾 Read >> World’s best tennis magazine
🎾 Watch >> How to enjoy ATP/WTA/Slam tennis on TV