Roger Federer cruises past Denis Istomin to reach French Open second round
Roger Federer reached the second round of the 2021 French Open with a comfortable straight sets win against Denis Istomin.
The No. 8 seed won 6-2, 6-4, 6-3 against the world No. 204 in the opening round in his first Grand Slam appearance since 2019.
Federer – a 2009 Roland Garros champion – now holds an 8-0 record against the 34-year-old Uzbek.
“I am really happy to be back on this new court Philippe Chatrier, and I am really happy to be in front of you today,” Federer said in his on-court interview.
“Really happy about the match. It’s always easier to be in front of a player you know quite well. As you saw, he played every part of his game.
Like he never left 🤩
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) May 31, 2021
“He came to the net, especially in the second part of the match. And he served very well today.”
The 39-year-old will face either Marin Cilic or Arthur Rinderknech in the second round of the tournament.
The Swiss reached the last four of the French Open in his previous appearance in 2019.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner