‘Roger Federer and I are not close friends,’ insists Rafael Nadal
Rafael Nadal says he can speak to Roger Federer about ‘anything,’ but insists they are ‘not close friends.’
Federer and Nadal had an absolutely iconic rivalry in their 20s, with the pair’s contrasting styles making for some incredibly absorbing contests on the court.
In recent years, that rivalry has mellowed, and they have become closer, but Nadal says it is still short of friendship.
“We are very good companions and as the time went on, our relationship improved,” Nadal told Vision de Juego.
“We are not close friends, I would not tell him that my knee hurts before facing him!”
“We can call each other anytime and speak about anything. I spoke with him just today!”
Rafael Nadal is currently skipping the Miami Masters to prepare for the clay season instead, and he makes little secret that the red dirt is always his priority.
“I want to be competitive and well-prepared heading into Monte Carlo and the whole clay-court swing which is the most important time of the year for me.
“I am working very hard for that.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner