Robson through to Shrewsbury semis
The impressive run of Laura Robson at the $75,000 ITF event in Shrewsbury continues after the Wimbledon Junior champion beat the tournament’s No.4 seed, Israel’s Tzipi Obziler, 6-3 6-3 in the quarter-finals.
Junior British No.1 Laura Robson beat fellow Brit Urszula Radwanska in the previous rounds to become the last surviving British player in the draw.
And her latest victory, claimed in just 63 minutes against an opponent 21 years her senior, means that Laura Robson will enter the WTA rankings at around the world No.560 mark.
“I am very pleased with the way I played today,” said Laura Robson, who now faces Estonia’s world No.161 Maret Ani in the last four.
“Martijn [Bok, her coach] and I talked through the game plan before I went on and it obviously worked. Tomorrow will be a tough match and I am looking forward to it.”
Robson, playing in he second WTA event, must wait until her third event to earn a Tour ranking. She is currently listed as an alternate entrant for the $50,000 ITF event in Joue-Les-Tours starting 6th October.
Earlier in the day, Tennishead’s newest recruit Sarah Borwell reached the final of the doubles event with her American partner Courtney Nagle after beating Stefania Boffa and Nikola Frankova 6-4 3-6 10-6.
They will face fellow Brit Anna Smith and Johanna Larsson in the final.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner