Rising star to face Rafa in Rotterdam
Winner of the Wimbledon and US Open Junior tournaments in 2008, 17-year-old prodigy Grigor Dimitrov will face world No.1 Rafael Nadal in the second round of the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam on Thursday evening.
Bulgarias rising star was given a wild card into the ATP World Tour 500 tournament this week and immediately caused a huge upset on Monday by defeating Czech world No.23 Tomas Berdych 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Grigor Dimitrov is widely regarded as a hot prospect and tipped for great things, and the Bulgarian youngster will be guided every step of the way by the coaching staff at the Mouratoglou Tennis Academy in France.
Grigor Dimitrov will be trained by Peter Lundgren, who has coached Grand Slam champions Roger Federer and Marat Safin in the past.
Just like stablemate Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (coached by Patrick Mouratoglou), Dimitrov has shown the same kind of potential.
Although his outing against Berdych on Monday was his official ATP World Tour debut, the teenager will undergo his real initiation to the senior game against Nadal on Thursday night.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner