‘Rafael Nadal will be a huge danger’ – Rival wary of Rafa as he targets one last chance of glory
Rafael Nadal has been identified as a major doubles threat at the Olympics by Brazilian Bruno Soares.
Soares is a doubles specialist who boasts Jamie Murray among his former partners, and he is expected to be part of Brazil’s team in Tokyo next year along with fellow veteran Marcelo Melo.
He is yet to win an Olympic medal, but he knows Nadal could be a major ‘danger’ to his bid to get himself on the podium.
“We always have a greater concern for doubles pairs,” Soares explained, “such as the Colombians (Juan Cabal and Robert Farah), the French (Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut), the British (Jamie Murray and Neal Skupski). they will be the favourites, along with me and Marcelo.
“But there are other pairs. Take the example of Rafael Nadal and Marc Lopez, they are from the old ones, they have been playing together for ten years, despite Nadal not playing doubles on the circuit, we know the danger of this duo.”
Nadal and Lopez already have an Olympics gold after winning in Rio in 2016.
That year, Soares and Melo lost in the quarter-finals to eventual silver-medallists Florin Mergea and Horia Tecau of Romania.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner