Rafael Nadal: ‘When you ask me about Roger Federer’s Grand Slam record, I always say the same…’
Rafael Nadal says he is ‘not obsessed’ with winning more Grand Slam titles than Roger Federer, although he does hold lofty ambitions.
Nadal has won 19 major titles in his career so far and will be a strong favourite at the French Open again later this month.
Should he win a 13th Roland Garros title, he will draw level with Federer with 20, but he claims that isn’t as important to him as it seemingly is to others.
“When you ask me about Roger Federer’s record, I always say the same,”Rafael Nadal told the press as he heads to Roland Garros.
“I made my entire career in my way and will keep doing that.
“I’m not obsessed with those 20 Major titles; I can’t always think about Roger or Novak Djokovic and our race for most Majors.
“I know journalists put a lot of attention on that. I would love to finish my career on 25 Majors, but that’s unlikely to happen.
“I’m going to fight and create chances; we will see when I finish my career. I want to keep enjoying tennis, that’s all.
“If I’m playing on a high level, I’m a Major contender. If not, it’s impossible to win it.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner