‘We have to enjoy Rafael Nadal while we can,’ says Barcelona tournament director
Rafael Nadal has confirmed he will play Barcelona, with tournament director David Ferrer hailing his as ‘a legend.’
Barcelona was one of the events that had to be cancelled last year due to the coronavirus pandemic, but it will return for 2021, and it will do so with Nadal in the draw.
Nadal lost in the semi-finals back in 2019 to eventual winner Dominic Thiem, but he is the most successful player in the tournament’s history with 11 titles.
And, with Nadal set to turn 35 this summer, Ferrer has urged fans to appreciate him while they can.
“Rafa’s presence in Barcelona is very important for the tournament and it will be even more so after the cancellation of last year’s edition,” Ferrer said.
“What Rafael Nadal has done throughout his career is something amazing and unique.
“We must explain to all the fans that what we have seen with this player is not going to be repeated.
“Rafa is a legend of this sport and we have to enjoy him while we can.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner