Rafael Nadal says he was ‘a little bit lucky’ at times despite comfortable Australian Open win
Rafael Nadal says he was ‘a little bit lucky’ at times despite him comfortably overcoming Fabio Fognini at the Australian Open.
Nadal is now safely into the the quarter-finals after the 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 win against the Italian, where he will face either Stefanos Tsitsipas of Matteo Berrettini.
However, despite his comfort, he said that crucial moments went his way and that was a key factor in the match.
“Every match, when you go on court, in a the round of 16 against a great player like Fabio, you’ve got to worry every moment,” Rafael Nadal said afterwards.
“But at the same time you can’t expect to go on court and not have problems during the match, facing these kinds of players.
“In the second set I don’t think I played a good game when he break me.
“I was lucky to have the break back immediately and then I saved 0-40 – that was the key.
“So building this couple of games, I was a little bit lucky to be able to have a score 5-4 for me on serving.
“I think in the beginning of second set from the beginning, I think I was better than him, then from 3-2 to 5, especially to 4-4, he was much better than me.
“I was able to hold the score and that was probably one of the biggest parts.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner