‘Rafael Nadal will be a problem at Roland Garros, but I love a challenge,’ says Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic admits that Rafael Nadal will be ‘a problem’ at Roland Garros, but he is looking forward to the challenge.
Nadal has dominated the French Open like no other player in history has dominated a major, winning 13 of his 20 Grand Slam titles on the Paris clay.
The most recent of those titles came last October, when he didn’t drop a set in the whole tournament and bageled Djokovic in the final.
The world number one can joke about it now, but he says he will have his game face on if they meet again in the tournament this year.
“[The French Open] still has a big problem called Rafael Nadal! But we’ll try,” Djokovic told France.tv.
“If you have any advice [on how to beat him], don’t hesitate! You must be on top physically and mentally.
“I once beat Nadal at Roland Garros but I lost very, very often.
“And I think that’s the biggest challenge you have in tennis today. But I love challenges, it requires you to give your best.”
If Djokovic can win the French Open this year, not only will he close to within one major of the all-time record, but he will also become the first man in history to win every Grand Slam multiple times.
“Yes I can say it, it’s my biggest priority now to win as many Grand Slam titles as possible,” he said.
“I’m trying to organize my schedule around that, especially for Roland Garros this year.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner