Rafael Nadal vows to continue at Wimbledon despite scans showing abdominal tear
Rafael Nadal is et to continue at Wimbledon despite scans showing he has a tear in his abdomen.
Nadal appeared to have come into the tournament with the problem, but he aggravated it in the quarterfinal win over Taylor Fritz.
He struggled to finish the match, and his own family were imploring him to retire in the second set from the stands.
Nadal soldiered on, though, and he was able to battle through obvious pain to win the match in a champions’ tiebreak.
Scans have now shown he has a tear in his abdomen, but Marca report he plans on playing the semi-final against Nick Kyrgios on Friday.
“They can’t do much, honestly, no,” Rafael Nadal said when asked about potential treatments for the injury.
“Doctor came, give me some anti-inflammatories. Well, anti-inflammatories and analgesic, and that’s it,” he said.
“The physio just tried to relax a little bit the muscle there. But it’s difficult. Nothing can be fixed when you have a thing like this.
“I just wanted to give myself a chance. [It’s] not easy to leave the tournament. Not easy to leave Wimbledon, even if the pain was hard.”
Nadal has won both majors so far this year, so he is still on course to chase a Calendar Grand Slam should his injury not stand in his way.
🎾 Free >> Join our legendary newsletter
🎾 Join >> Receive $700/£600 of tennis gear from the Tennishead CLUB
🎾 Social >> Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
🎾 Read >> World’s best tennis magazine
🎾 Watch >> How to enjoy ATP/WTA/Slam tennis on TV
🎾 Shop >> Lowest price tennis gear from our trusted partner