‘I have to improve,’ says Rafael Nadal despite demolishing Pablo Carreno Busta in comeback match
Rafael Nadal described his 6-1, 6-1 demolition of Pablo Carreno Busta in Rome as ‘a positive start’ to his clay court season, but he says he must improve.
Prior to his match against US Open semi-finalist, his last competitive outing was back in February.
However, there was no signs of rust at all from the world number two.
“Today has been a positive start for me,” Rafael Nadal said after the match.
“Of course I have to improve things. The things that I have to improve, the only way to improve is to keep practising with the right attitude, the right intensity and to spend hours in competition matches.
“I played a good match, maybe he was a little bit tired from New York (where) he played an amazing tournament.
“I played solid, some good shots with the forehand and backhand.”
Nadal opted not to defend his 2019 US Open title earlier this month to prepare for his attempt to win a 13th French Open title, and record-equalling 20th career Grand Slam crown next month.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner