Rafael Nadal has a heavenly body
Rafael Nadal is officially a star – well, a shooting star.
A recently discovered asteroid has been named after the Spaniard, in the wake of his Wimbledon victory earlier this month over five-time champion Roger Federer. Nadal, who also has four French Open titles, became the first Spaniard to win Wimbledon in more than 40 years.
The Rafael Nadal asteroid, previously known by the less catchy moniker “128036”, is four kilometres in diameter and travels through space at a speed of 20 km per second. It is currently between Mars and Jupiter, according to the Astronomical Observatory of Majorca, who discovered the planetoid in 2003.
The decision to name the asteroid after Rafael Nadal, a Majorca native, was taken by the International Astronomical Union after a request by the Spanish observatory, who wanted to pay tribute “to one of the greatest tennis players of all time” – and presumably couldn’t find enough asteroids to honour the entire Spanish football squad.
Nadal has already been informed of the honour and has been invited to visit the observatory to see his space rock.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner