Rafael Nadal dumped out of the Australian Open after sensational Stefanos Tsitsipas comeback
Stefanos Tsitsipas has dumped Rafael Nadal out of the Australian Open with a sensational comeback win in the quarter-final.
The Greek ace looked down and out when he was comprehensively overpowered in the opening two sets of the match.
At that point, the win looked a mere formality for Nadal, but Tsitsipas had other ideas, producing a comeback for the ages to claim a 3-6, 2-6, 7-6, 6-4, 7-5 win.
“I am speechless,” Stefanos Tsitsipas said after downing Rafael Nadal. “I have no words.
“My tennis speaks out for itself. It is an unbelievable feeling to be able to fight at such a level.
“Todays performance was… is started nervous. I don’t know what happened after the third set. I flew like a little bird. Indescribable”
“Holding me nerve is a very important element. I would also give a big part of my win to being able to be consistent with my mood and staying calm.
“I have been working on keeping everything to myself. It’s something I am really happy with, and the attitude I had out on the court.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner