Rafael Nadal digs deep to down Diego Schwartzman in thrilling French Open Quarter-Final
Rafael Nadal reached his 14th Roland Garros semi-final after fighting his way past Diego Schwartzman in a four-set thriller on Court Phillipe Chatrier.
The 13 time champion prevailed 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, 6-0 against the world No. 10 in the quarter-finals at Roland Garros.
“Well done to Diego, he’s a great player. I had to turn aggressive and I did. Very happy with that.” Nadal said in his on-court interview.
The players traded breaks in the opening set, before Nadal rescued control and served out the opening set 6-3.
Schwartzman responded brilliantly, playing out some incredible points to break Nadal and end his run of winning 36 consecutive sets at French Open.
The 35-year-old found himself at 3-4 in the crucial third set, but upped his intensity and reeled off three excellent games to lead again.
The Argentine couldn’t muster another comeback and Nadal raced to the finishing line, taking the fourth set 6-0.
He will face either Novak Djokovic or Matteo Berrettini in Friday’s semi-final.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner