Rafael Nadal defeat means Novak Djokovic now guaranteed to break major Roger Federer record
Novak Djokovic is now guaranteed to surpass Roger Federer and become the player with most weeks at world number one.
Djokovic is currently just two weeks away from Federer’s total of 310 weeks at the top.
However, after Rafael Nadal’s defeat in the Australian Open quarterfinal to Stefanos Tsitsipas, it is impossible for anyone to stop the Serbian from still being world number one on March 8 – the start of his 311th week.
It will complete what Djokovic himself has admitted to be a major career goal.
Players with most weeks at world number one (as of 18/2/2021)
“This is one of my two biggest professional goals,” Novak Djokovic told reporters in December
“To reach the record of, [and] surpass Roger’s record for longest [time at] number one and win as many Slams as possible. I have been saying that before, so I’m working towards that.
“I’m at a good place right now, in a good position. Hopefully I can stay healthy and continue to play well.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner