‘Rafael Nadal defeat is my greatest disappointment,’ says Daniil Medvedev
Daniil Medvedev says his US Open final defeat to Rafael Nadal hurt more than his loss to Novak Djokovic in Melbourne.
Medvedev has lost both of his Grand Slam finals to date, with the second coming in the Australian Open just last month.
However, it was the first – the one le lost in five sets to Rafael Nadal at Flushing Meadows – that still stings the most, he says, because he felt like he had more opportunities to win it.
Asked in a YouTube Q&A what his greatest disappointment was, Medvedev said: “At this moment it is to lose a Grand Slam final.
“For sure with Rafa maybe a little more, because I had my chances to win it.
“I can look back and say I could have done better in some points and maybe change the outcome of the match.”
Despite Medvedev’s poor showing in the Australian Open final, his coach Gilles Cervara has said his recent overall form shows he is definitely on the right path.
“This is proof that what we did at the end of last season is a step forward,” Cervara said.
“And with this new upgrade, Daniil is close to winning a Grand Slam, even if he still has to improve some small details in his game.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner