Rafael Nadal and Carlos Alcaraz both withdraw from the Monte Carlo Masters
Rafael Nadal and Carlos Alcaraz have withdrawn from the upcoming Monte Carlo Masters, with the top two Spaniards pulling out of the tournament within minutes of each other.
Nadal has been away from the ATP tour since the Australian Open, in January, when he lost in the second round to Mackenzie McDonald.
The 22-time Grand Slam champion revealed that he had picked up a grade two tear to his iliopsoas muscle in Melbourne, and was expecting to be out for six to eight weeks.
That period has since been extended, and now with his withdrawal from Monte Carlo Nadal will be off the tour for at least 12 weeks.
In a message on social media Nadal said, “Hi everyone, unfortunately, I am still not ready to compete and will miss one of those special tournaments I always love to play.”
“Monte Carlo is and has been a key event in my career, but unfortunately, I will have to miss it again since I am still not ready to compete without the risk of getting injured. I will continue the process of getting ready to come back.”
Hola a todos, aún no me encuentro preparado para competir al más alto nivel. No podré jugar en uno de los torneos más importantes de mi carrera, Monte Carlo. No estoy aún en condiciones de jugar con las máximas garantías y continúo mi proceso preparación, esperando volver pronto
— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) April 4, 2023
Rafael Nadal record at Monte Carlo
Rafael Nadal has an incredible record at the Monte Carlo Masters, winning 71 of his 76 matches.
The Spaniard’s only losses have only come to Guillermo Coria in 2003, Novak Djokovic in 2013 and 2015, David Ferrer in 2014 and Fabio Fognini in 2019.
Nadal’s reign in Monaco has seen him win 11 titles, more than anyone else, including 46 consecutive wins between 2005 and 2012.
Here are all of Nadal’s 12 finals at the Monte Carlo Masters:
2005 – Nadal beat Guillermo Coria, 6-3 6-1 0-6 7-5
2006 – Nadal beat Roger Federer, 6-2 6(2)-7 6-3 7-6(5)
2007 – Nadal beat Roger Federer, 6-4 6-4
2008 – Nadal beat Roger Federer, 7-5 7-5
2009 – Nadal beat Novak Djokovic, 6-3 2-6 6-1
2010 – Nadal beat Fernando Verdasco, 6-0 6-1
2011 – Nadal beat David Ferrer, 6-4 7-5
2012 – Nadal beat Novak Djokovic, 6-3 6-1
2013 – Novak Djokovic beat Nadal, 6-2 7-6(1)
2016 – Nadal beat Gael Monfils, 7-5 5-7 6-0
2017 – Nadal beat Albert Ramos Vinolas, 6-1 6-3
2018 – Nadal beat Kei Nishikori, 6-3 6-2
The Spaniard 17 years Nadal’s junior, Carlos Alcaraz, has also had to withdraw from the tournament in Monte Carlo.
Alcaraz had appeared to be hampered in his semi-final defeat to Jannik Sinner at the Miami Open, and like Nadal confirmed he was pulling out from Monte Carlo on social media.
“After two months abroad, I am happy to return home but sad because I finished my last match in Miami with physical discomfort. After visiting my doctor @drlopezmartinez in Murcia today and being evaluated, I will not be able to go to Monte Carlo to start the clay court tour,” said Alcaraz.
He continued, “I have post-traumatic arthritis in my left hand and muscular discomfort in the spine that needs rest to prepare for everything that is to come. See you in 2024 @ROLEXMCMASTERS!”
I have post-traumatic arthritis in my left hand and muscular discomfort in the spine that needs rest to prepare for everything that is to come. See you in 2024 @ROLEXMCMASTERS! 😢
— Carlos Alcaraz (@carlosalcaraz) April 4, 2023
The No.2 made his first appearance at the tournament last year, losing his only match to Sebastian Korda, 6(2)-7 7-6(5) 3-6.
Felix Auger-Aliassime completes the trio of top 10 players to withdraw from the event, citing a left knee injury that he has been ‘struggling with for the past few weeks’.
Update 👇🏽 pic.twitter.com/GwEKNU2VgB
— Félix AugerAliassime (@felixtennis) April 4, 2023
Join >> Receive $700/£600 of tennis gear from the Tennishead CLUB
Social >> Facebook, Twitter & YouTube
Read >> World’s best tennis magazine
Shop >> Lowest price tennis gear from our trusted partner