‘Rafa Nadal Wimbledon withdrawal surprised me’, admits his uncle Toni
Toni Nadal said he was surprised his nephew Rafael Nadal decided to miss Wimbledon, but highlighted his “painful” Roland Garros loss to Novak Djokovic as a factor.
World No. 1 Djokovic beat Nadal in a four-set semi-final at the French Open – the Spaniard’s first Roland Garros defeat since 2015.
Nadal is a two-time Wimbledon champion and three-time runner-up at the All England Club – with his most recent triumph coming in 2010.
“[On Nadal deciding to skip Wimbledon] It did surprise me. It is true that he had a few small problems, but obviously he thought he would play,” the Spaniard said in an interview with Marca.
“A loss at Roland Garros is always painful, especially if you have won 13 times. But it is not Rafael’s first defeat. He has lost more difficult games in finals.
“It is normal that he is a little affected. The only thing missing is that you lose a match like the one in the Paris semi-finals and you are happy.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner