Rafa Nadal stunned by Andrey Rublev at Monte Carlo Masters
Rafael Nadal is out of the Monte Carlo Masters 2021 after a surprise defeat to Andrey Rublev in the quarter-finals on Friday.
The 34-year-old is an 11-time champion in Monaco but was beaten by the Russian at the Masters 1000 tournament.
The Spaniard had won both of the pair’s previous meetings comfortably in straight sets but this time Rublev got the better of him. After losing the first set and going a break down in the second the Spanish great seemingly got his form back by winning 4 games in a row to level at one set all. But that was all the Spaniard had to give as the young Russian ran away with the third set to take the match comfortably 6-2 in the third.
Rublev will now face another young rising star in Casper Ruud who has reached his first Masters 1000 semi final.
A first time winner at Monte Carlo is now assured with Nadal’s exit. The semi final line up will be Dan Evans vs Stefanos Tsitsipas and Ruud versus Rublev.
A fitting end to a fabulous performance 👏
— ATP Tour (@atptour) April 16, 2021
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner