Rafa Nadal scores morale boosting victory over arch rival Novak Djokovic in Italian Open final
In what many hope is a pre-cursor to next month’s French Open Men’s Singles final, Rafa Nadal has triumphed over Novak Djokovic in the 58th encounter of one of tennis’s most enduring and competitive rivalries.
Nadal defeated Djokovic in a gruelling 3-set battle on the clay of Rome after winning the first set only to see the Serb Djokovic fight back.
Nadal has now beaten Djokovic in their last 5 clay court encounters including last years French Open final.
Nadal had been far from his best this week but as often happens he did enough to secure the title against an opponent in Djokovic who had had to win two matches and 5 hours of gruelling tennis the day before thanks to rain delays earlier in the tournament.
Nadal won 7-5, 1-6, 6-3 in just under 3 hours to lift his 10th Italian Open title.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 16, 2021
Both players will now head to Roland Garros for the French Open in the hopes of adding to their Grand Slam tally with the GOAT race wide open. Roger Federer will also feature in this years tournament.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner