‘Rafa Nadal isn’t as strong on clay as last year’, says Boris Becker
Boris Becker said Rafael Nadal has not been “that dominant yet this year” on clay and believes the Spaniard needs to win Rome to arrive at Roland Garros with confidence.
During the 2021 clay court season, Nadal has won the Barcelona Open ATP 500 tournament and reached the quarter-finals of the Masters 1000 events in Monte Carlo and Madrid.
He is also through to the semi-finals of this week’s Italian Open – where he will face Reilly Opelka tomorrow.
“Nadal has a passport and it says age 35 from June,” six-time major champion Becker said on Das Yellow vom Ball Eurosport podcast.
“Let’s talk about Nadal 2020 for now: I’ve never seen him as strong as he was in last year’s French Open final against Novak Djokovic. But tennis is fleeting, only the next match counts.
“This year I haven’t seen him as strong on clay as last year. If he doesn’t win Rome now either, he can’t come to Paris with an incredible amount of confidence.
“Yes, he has won the tournament 13 times, but I didn’t find him that dominant yet this year. Even in Barcelona he had to go over three sets – he didn’t win that as dominantly as he has in the past.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner