‘Rafa Nadal is invincible at Roland Garros’, says Spanish major champion
Manuel Orantes sees Rafael Nadal as being “invincible” at Roland Garros and said players need to be at ‘150% of their level’ to have a chance.
Former world No. 2 Orantes – an inductee into the International Tennis Hall of Fame – won 34 singles titles including the 1975 US Open.
“Everyone knows that when you play with Nadal you can only win if you are 150% of your level and he drops to 70%. He has a mentality and a strength that I had never seen, you never see him throw the towel,” Orantes told Radio Marca.
When asked if Nadal is the favourite for the French Open, the Spaniard said: “On land (clay) I always see him as a favorite, I see him (as) invincible.
“There is a player like Thiem that if Rafa is not at his best version because he is injured, he could possibly beat him but in tournaments like Roland Garros, five sets, it is almost impossible to endure so many hours and beat him.
“I remember that (Bjorn) Borg was the first who started to have a great mentality in our time, to be very strong physically, and won four Roland Garros titles in a row. We thought that no one could ever beat him and now Nadal has tripled him.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner