Rafa Nadal: ‘I have a good relationship with Federer, Thiem and all Spaniards’
Rafael Nadal has spoken of his relationship with other ATP players and said he gets on well with Roger Federer, Dominic Thiem and all Spaniards.
The 20-time Grand Slam winner spoke in a video conversation ahead of this week’s Madrid Open alongside tournament director Feliciano Lopez.
“Before we lived together more. When I got to the circuit, the Spanish were closer together. With not so much internet, it made us go out more together,” Nadal said.
“Maybe that’s why I always had more relationship with the oldest players. To this day, I have a good relationship with all Spaniards, especially with Marc (Lopez), Feli (Lopez), (Pablo) Andújar, Roberto (Bautista Agut).
“I get along very well with everyone. And as foreigners I have a good relationship with Thiem, with Federer as well.
“In general, I have a good relationship with everyone, but we Spanish are more like each other. Years ago when Pico (Juan Monaco), (Mariano) Zabaleta, (who have) retired, (were still around), we spent more time together with all of them.”
The 34-year-old Spaniard is a five-time champion at the Masters 1000 tournament in Madrid.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner