‘Rafa Nadal has helped me a lot to reach this level’, reveals Casper Ruud
Casper Ruud said Rafael Nadal has helped him a lot “to reach this level” and that Toni Nadal also provides “invaluable” guidance.
The world No. 22 will face Matteo Berrettini tonight in the semi-finals of the Madrid Open. The 22-year-old also reached the last four at the two most recent clay court Masters 1000 events in Monte Carlo and Rome.
Ruud trains at the Rafa Nadal Academy in Mallorca – which he joined when he was 19 and ranked 143rd in the world.
“Every time I go to the academy, we (me and Nadal) talk to each other, we train with each other,” Ruud said in an interview after beating Alexander Bublik in the Rome quarter-finals.
“I must mention it – Rafa has helped me a lot in recent years to reach this level, it’s obvious.
“Getting help from Toni is invaluable as well and, although he helps Felix (Auger-Aliassime) more personally, he is still involved in my tennis.”
The Norwegian has won one title – the Argentina Open clay court ATP 250 event in 2020.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner