Rafa Nadal ‘absolutely fine’ after practising with Daniil Medvedev – who has tested positive for COVID
Rafael Nadal is “absolutely fine” after practice partner Daniil Medvedev tested positive for COVID at the Monte Carlo Masters on Monday.
World No. 2 Medvedev tested positive after the pair’s session on Monday, but Nadal’s publicist Benito Perez-Barbadillo has revealed that the Spaniard and his team all returned negative tests on the same day.
“Nadal is absolutely fine. As we understand the virus does not anyways show before three-four days,” Perez-Barbadillo told Reuters.
“The next scheduled testing is in three days (on Thursday).”
Nadal – an 11-time champion in Monaco – is scheduled to play his opening match at the Masters 1000 event on Wednesday. After receiving a first round bye, the third seed will face world No. 87 Federico Delbonis – who defeated Adrian Mannarino in the opening round.
The 34-year-old Spaniard has won all four previous meetings with the Argentine in straight sets. Nadal’s most recent triumph in Monte Carlo came in 2018 – when he beat Kei Nishikori in the final.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner