‘Professional tennis at its best’ – Top analyst hails Nick Kyrgios and Dominic Thiem after thriller
Mats Wilander described the Australian Open match between Nick Kyrgios and Dominic Thiem as ‘professional tennis at its best.’
Kyrgios and Thiem played a thrilling five sets on John Cain Arena, with the Australian racing into a two set lead before Thiem found his first serve and turned it around.
It was a match that thrilled viewers everywhere right until the final shot, and Eurosport expert Wilander couldn’t hide his admiration.
“It was unbelievable,” Eurosport expert Mats Wilander said of the match.
“Of course we got a feeling for it when Nick Kyrgios beat Ugo Humbert in the previous round, and then to follow it up like this – this is professional tennis at its best.
“It kind of has to involve a local hero and a crowd that is going nuts.
“Don’t forget Dominic Thiem, the way that he plays, the way that he acted – he didn’t go against the crowd, he just kept fighting, kept his head down.
“But Nick Kyrgios, what a show he puts on again.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner