‘Probably my biggest ever achievement’, says Novak Djokovic on historic No. 1 ranking record
Novak Djokovic said breaking the record for most weeks ranked as world No. 1 was historic and probably his biggest ever achievement.
The 18-time Grand Slam champion reached 311 weeks on top of the ATP rankings last month to eclipse Roger Federer’s tally of 310 weeks.
The 33-year-old Serbian will feature for the first time since winning the Australian Open in February at the Monte Carlo Masters 1000 event this week. The top seed will play either Jannik Sinner or Albert Ramos-Vinolas in his opening match.
“The historic achievement was of course something that was very fulfilling for me, for my family. It’s probably the biggest achievement that I’ve ever had in my career,” said Djokovic in a pre-tournament interview.
“It’s an accumulation of all the years of success and hard work, not just for myself but all the people that are around me, my team, my family.
— Novak Djokovic (@DjokerNole) April 11, 2021
“I was very happy to be able to stay close to my family and share the joy with them even though the restrictions were such that we could not make maybe more of a celebration than we kind of imagined.
“But nevertheless there were a lot of people that showed up on the streets. I’m very thankful to the city of Belgrade and the country of Serbia for creating some special events during that day to acknowledge the success. And it was definitely a very special day that will stay forever in my heart.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner