‘Please take the rules very very seriously,’ says Roger Federer as coronavirus grips Switzerland
Roger Federer has urged people to take the social distancing rules ‘very very seriously’ as the coronavirus threatens to overwhelm Switzerland.
Confirmed cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirus, have risen sharply in Federer’s homeland in the last few days, prompting the country’s Health Minister to warn Swiss hospitals are “reaching the limits of their capacity.”
And that has prompted Federer, who is recovering from knee surgery at home, to make an appeal via his social media channels.
“I’m staying home and I haven’t been shaking anybody’s hands for quite some time now,” Federer said on Instagram.
“Obviously, I wash my hands very frequently as we’re supposed to.
“I believe helping each other is more important now than ever. Especially because we want to help the older generation.
“They’re the ones at highest risk and we need to help them by keeping a distance of two metres and not shake hands.
“It’s really important to take these rules seriously. Very very seriously.
“Eventually, we could all be in quarantine and not be able to leave the house anymore so I really hope all of us take it very seriously.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner