‘Playing Serena Williams is a dream,’ says Naomi Osaka after Australian Open semi-final success
Serena Williams will have to wait a little longer for another chance to win a 24th Grand Slam title after Naomi Osaka beat her at the Australian Open.
Williams started their semi-final in blistering form, breaking Osaka early to take charge of the early proceedings.
However, once Osaka got herself into the match, it was her who made all the running and she was able to start dictating to Williams before sealing a 6-3, 6-4 win.
“I was really nervous and scared in the beginning and then I sort of eased my way into it,” said Osaka.
“It’s always an honour to play her and I didn’t want to go out really bad. I just wanted to try my best.
“I don’t know if there’s any little kids here today but I was a little kid, watching Serena play, and playing on court against her is a dream.”
Osaka will now face either Jennifer Brady or Karolina Muchove as she fights for a fourth Grand Slam title on Saturday.
“Everyone is really excited whenever they play their first final, but they’re also super nervous,” Osaka added on her upcoming final.
“I don’t want to wish nerves on anyone, but hopefully… [laughs]. For the past few weeks I’ve been eating Japanese food on the day before my match.
“Yesterday I decided to eat Greek food, then I woke up and saw Tsitsipas had beaten Nadal. Maybe Greek food is good!”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner