‘Playing at Wimbledon is a dream come true’ – Raducanu on stunning run
British wildcard Emma Raducanu produced a stunning display to defeat Sorana Cirstea in round three of 2021 Wimbledon Championships.
The Brit was in the headlines after easing past former French Open finalist Marketa Vondrousova in round two. On her Court One debut, Raducanu thrived off the Wimbledon crowd and played the match of her life to beat Cirstea in a great battle.
“Playing on Court One at Wimbledon is what you dream of, not many people get the opportunity to, so I just thought wow. This is such an opportunity so I’m just going to go out there and have fun.”
“Some of the points I’d never played such good tennis. I was just having so much fun. Sorara put up an incredible fight and we had a great battle on some of the points.”
Raducanu will be back on Court One tomorrow to face Ajla Tomljanovic for a place in the quarter-finals. The teenager interacted with and thrilled the British crowd throughout her third round match and is excited to do it all over again.
— LTA (@the_LTA) July 3, 2021
“I thought to myself, if you’re not going to enjoy Court One at Wimbledon with a home crowd, what are you going to enjoy? This is the top of tennis. When I heard the crowd roar for the first time, I thought wow they are so behind me. I was feeding off their energy and I’m excited to play in front of them again.”
Raducanu is the youngest British woman to reach the last 16 at Wimbledon in the Open Era. An incredible achievement that could get even better next week.
“I’m so grateful for this wildcard. Honestly I just wanted to make the most of it and show that I earnt it. Each time I step out on court I’m thinking why not? Somebody has to be in the second week, why not me? I just want to stay here as long as possible, I’m having such a blast.”
The 18-year-old will rise into the world’s top 200 rankings after Wimbledon.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner