Petrova sees off Stosur to reach Eastbourne final
Nadia Petrova ended the hopes of Australian Sam Stosur to win her first WTA Tour title at a damp Eastbourne. The Russian came through with a 6-3 6-3 win in 79 minutes after two rain delays.
Petrova will face Agnieszka Radwanska in Saturday’s final after the fourth seed from Poland beat 2007 Wimbledon finalist Marion Bartoli 7-5 6-3.
Sam Stosur only returned to the tour in April after seven months out with Lyme disease and viral meningitis, having watched her ranking drop to No.157. But she beat rising star Caroline Wozniacki in Eastbourne and then profited from Amelie Mauresmo’s injury-enforced retirement.
Against the No.8 seed Petrova, bidding for her first title of the year, her run came to an end. The Russian’s victory was even sweeter, given that she had been forced to retire in the semi-finals last year with a chest injury.
Marion Bartoli, meanwhile, was satisfied with her form as she heads to Wimbledon with a stack of rankings points to defend after her surprise run to the final last year.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner