‘Naomi Osaka win gave me belief’ – Marketa Vondrousova makes Olympic history
Marketa Vondrousova said she could not believe she reached the gold medal match at the Tokyo Olympics after downing Elina Svitolina.
The world number 42 added she is “very proud” of the “amazing” run, irrespective of whether she ends up with a gold or silver medal.
Vondrousova became the first Czech woman to reach an Olympic singles final after her 6-3, 6-1 triumph over Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina in the semi-finals.
The 22-year-old broke the fourth seed three times in the first set and twice in the second as she earned a convincing win in an hour and five minutes.
“I was thinking that [to win] two or three matches would have been great, and then I beat Naomi [Osaka] – so then I thought that I was playing well and that maybe I could even do better,” she said in a post-match interview.
🥇or 🥈 for Marketa Vondrousova who is smiling ear to ear. pic.twitter.com/OLjCsLO8Ct
— . (@Ashish__TV) July 29, 2021
“I’m now just happy to be in the final. It’s an amazing feeling. I can’t believe it. Maybe it’ll sink in later. This is amazing, even if it’s silver or gold, it’s amazing and I’m just very proud.”
Vondrousova will face No. 12 seed Belinda Bencic in the women’s singles gold medal match on Saturday.
Photo credit: Kopatsch/Sato/Sidorjak
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner