‘Only Djokovic can stop number one favourite Nadal at French Open’, says Goran Ivanisevic
Goran Ivanisevic has labelled Rafael Nadal the “number one favourite to win the French Open” but believes Novak Djokovic is the “one person who can beat him”.
Former Wimbledon winner Ivanisevic – who has been part of Djokovic’s coaching team since 2019 – said the Serbian “has to be 100%”, otherwise Nadal “eats you”.
The Croatian said Nadal ‘would have no chance in these conditions’ to beat Djokovic at last year’s French Open, but the Spaniard won 6-0, 6-2, 7-5 in the final.
“In my opinion, Nadal is number one favourite to win the French Open and there’s only one person who can beat him to that number 14 title – and that’s Novak,” Ivanisevic told BBC Sport.
“But he has to be 100%. We saw last year he did not show up for the final. He showed up too late. You cannot give Nadal too much space, otherwise he eats you.”
Djokovic and Nadal could face each other in either the semi-finals or the final at Roland Garros – as they are seeded first and third respectively. The main draw of the tournament begins on Sunday.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner