‘One of my most perfect weeks’ – Alexander Zverev reflects on 2018 Madrid triumph
Alexander Zverev has described his 2018 Madrid Masters title run as “one of the most perfect weeks in my life” ahead of the 2021 tournament.
The 24-year-old won the title without dropping a set, his serve, and without facing a break point – defeating Dominic Thiem 6-4, 6-4 in the final.
The German became only the second player since 1991 to win an ATP Masters 1000 event without being broken. The other was Roger Federer – who achieved the feat in Cincinnati in 2012 and 2015.
“I think it was one of my most perfect weeks that I’ve ever played. I didn’t lose a set, I didn’t lose a serve – which I think the last time it happened in a clay court Masters was 1990-something,” Zverev told ATP Tennis TV.
“So, it was a pretty amazing week for me, and I hope I can have many more of those kind of weeks in the future. And hopefully start here with it.
“It was one of the most perfect weeks in my life. I felt great on court, I felt every shot was working. I felt like I knew how to play as aggressively as I needed to play.
“You have those kind of weeks. You can’t expect to have them every single week of the year, but it’s nice to know that you’re still able to do that.”
Zverev will face either Karen Khachanov or Kei Nishikori in the second round of the 2021 Madrid Masters.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner