‘Novak Djokovic will never attract the same support as Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal,’ says analyst
Novak Djokovic will never attract the same level of support as Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer, says Australian analyst Sam Groth.
Djokovic commands enormous support, although it does usually seem to be lacking behind that of his two biggest rivals.
Groth, though, a former world number 53, says that although Djokovic is ‘incredible’ on the court, he is generally just seen as the villain to Federer’s and ‘Nadal’s heroes.
“People don’t question the severity of your injury for no reason,” said Groth, who is now a top analyst on Australian TV.
“Djokovic has a reputation for being the boy who cried wolf. Federer and Nadal needed a bad guy, and they got Djokovic”.
“Novak Djokovic tries to give an impression he doesn’t care about not being liked, but I’m not convinced that’s true.
“He will never attract the universal support they (Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal) do.
“Every era needs a villain. And he’s become just that. On the court, Djokovic is nothing short of incredible.
“He’s on another level, the guy you never want in your draw. But off the court, he has done himself no favours.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner