Novak Djokovic resigns from players council to form a new players body
World No. 1 Novak Djokovic has resigned as president of the players council of the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) to reportedly set up a new player-led governing body.
The ATP currently governs the men’s professional Tour and its board is composed of representatives of both players and tournaments on the circuit.
Although Novak Djokovic is yet to formally comment, his fellow council member Vasek Pospisil confirmed his own resignation and hinted at the concerns among professional players with the current set up.
“After two years on the ATP Player Council, I am resigning from my position as the player representative for the 51-100 ranking positions,” Pospisil wrote on Twitter.
“It has become clear that, as a player council member within the current structure of the ATP, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to have any significant impact on any major decisions made by our tour.”
A document detailing plans and objectives for the new body, which will be called the Professional Tennis Players Association (PTPA) has already been distributed to players seeking their approval.
“The goal of the PTPA is not to replace the ATP, but to provide players with a self-governance structure that is independent from the ATP and directly responsive to player-members’ needs and concerns,” according to the New York Times report who has quoted from the document.
Djokovic did not attend the post-match news conference after his Cincinnati Open semi-final win over Spain’s Roberto Bautista Agut due to felling unwell.
However his final opponent, Canadian Milos Raonic said a “majority” of players was expected to sign in favour of the new association.
“Players have had plenty of time to think and reflect and take a look at certain parts which they may not be happy with and discuss,” he said after his semi-final win.
“I don’t know. A lot of us were kept in the dark by our leadership for six months. We were disappointed with many things.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner