‘Novak Djokovic reached a level of excellence in Australian Open final,’ says Daniil Medvedev’s coach
Daniil Medvedev’s coach admits his player was short of his best in the Australian Open final, but that was due to Novak Djokovic.
Djokovic put on an absolute tour de force of tennis in the Melbourne showpiece, completing dominating the Russian and wrapping it up in straight sets.
That was despite Medvedev coming into the match on the back of a 20-match winning run.
And, according to Medvedev’s coach Gilles Cervara, you have to acknowledge what Novak Djokovic produced on the day.
“[Medvedev’s defeat] was a conjunction of several things,” Cervara explained.
“First of all Djokovic’s level and his determination: he was at a level of excellence.
“What did Daniil go wrong? It is difficult for people to understand the mistakes made because it is something invisible in this case.
“We are talking about the right level of energy, the ‘fire’ that you must have within you on these occasions.
“Unfortunately, in the final all these things were not up to par.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner