‘I have an opportunity for the calendar-year Slam,’ says Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic admits he’s given himself a great chance to win the calendar-year Grand Slam after lifting the first two Major titles of the year.
The World No 1 lifted the Australian Open title before backing up his victory with an impressive campaign at the French Open and the Serbian is confident of a calendar-year Slam.
“I gave myself a good opportunity to do that, obviously winning the Australian Open and Roland Garros,” said Djokovic in Mallorca.
“It’s still a very long way to get to that super achievement. I will try to do it, without a doubt. I’m going to play Wimbledon now and hopefully I can get my hands on that trophy again.”
The 19-time Grand Slam champion is the two-time defending champion at Wimbledon and will be keen to be the first player to lift three consecutive Wimbledon titles since Roger Federer lifted five in a row between 2003 and 2007.
“Hopefully I can keep that run going. I’m feeling good on grass. I think I’ve improved a lot with my game on grass over the years,” Djokovic said.
“Every Grand Slam is like Mount Everest for a tennis player. It’s a two-week long event, 128 players, best-of-five. There are so many things happening on and off the court, so it’s a lot of pressure.”
After lifting the title in Paris for the second time, success at Wimbledon would put the Serbian level with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal ahead of the US Open.
“I will definitely go for the title at Wimbledon, the US Open and any other tournament and Slam that I play. I always have the highest ambition and expectations of myself, but I try to be in the present moment,” Djokovic said.
“I know that if I do everything in the right way, if I put myself in the right state of mind — my body and soul so to say — I’m able to win against anybody on any surface.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner