‘Novak Djokovic is playing best tennis of his life’, believes Alexander Zverev
Alexander Zverev believes “very few guys” can beat Novak Djokovic but said he knows he has “done it before” ahead of the pair’s Olympic showdown.
The German thinks world number one Djokovic is “playing the best tennis of his life”. The Serbian is on a 22-match winning streak.
Zverev will face the 34-year-old in the semi-finals at the Tokyo Games on Friday in what will be a ninth career meeting – with Djokovic leading the head-to-head 6-2.
World number four Zverev is making his Olympic debut, while Djokovic is playing in his fourth Games as he pursues a first gold medal.
[It will take] my best tennis [to win]. Like, he’s the favourite but I know that. There’s very few guys that can beat him in the world and hopefully I can be one of them,” the 24-year-old told Reuters.
“I know I’ve done it before, I know that he is playing the best tennis of his life, but hopefully tomorrow I can show my best tennis as well.”
Zverev’s last victory against Djokovic came in the final of the 2018 ATP Finals in London.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner