‘Novak Djokovic is doing special things,’ says Rafael Nadal after denying him tennis history
Rafael Nadal paid tribute to Novak Djokovic after denying him a slice of history in the French Open final.
Djokovic would have become the first man to ever win each Grand Slam title twice if he had managed to get the best of Nadal in the final at Roland Garros.
Nadal, though, was far too strong on the day, and he powered to his 13th French Open crown.
It was Djokovic’s first legitimate defeat of the season, and Nadal was quick to hail his rival in Paris.
“Another great year for Novak,” Nadal said on court after the match. “What you are doing in tennis is something very special.
“It is honestly a pleasure to share this great era of tennis together even though we have had tough battles.
“I hope to keep facing you for the next couple of years. Congrats and all the best for the future.”
The win draws Nadal level with Roger Federer with 20 career Grand Slam titles. Novak Djokovic, meanwhile, has 17.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner