‘Novak Djokovic is a very strange cat,’ says Nick Kyrgios as war of words escalates further
Nick Kyrgios has reignited his war of words with Novak Djokovic after branding him ‘a very strange cat.’
Kyrgios has been a constant critic of Djokovic this year especially, particularly since the Serbian’s Adria Tour which ended abruptly due to a coronavirus outbreak.
Since the turn of the year it has escalated further, with Kyrgios first calling Djokovic ‘a tool’ on social media and Djokovic issuing a reply that he ‘did not respect him off the court.’
And, when asked for his thoughts on Djokovic’s comments, Kyrgios typically wasn’t feeling shy.
“It’s a strange one for me,” Kyrgios said after his Australian Open first round win. “I read his comments. He said he doesn’t respect me off the court.
“I’m like, it actually would make complete sense to me if he was like, ‘I don’t respect the guy on the court’, because I understand if he doesn’t agree with some of my antics on the court that I’ve done in the past.
“[But] when we’ve played matches, I think I’ve been pretty good towards him. I’m not quite sure how you can’t respect me off the court.
“I feel like I’ve gone about things extremely well, especially during the pandemic, I was driving around delivering food to people during the pandemic that couldn’t get the supplies.
“I was extremely careful about what I was doing – I didn’t want to spread the virus to anyone. Now, I’m actually trying to donate meal kits to people who need food. I have a foundation.
“So it’s very strange to me why he would say he doesn’t respect me off the court – I actually do a lot off the court.
“But he’s a very strange cat, Novak is. A heck of a tennis player but unfortunately someone who’s partying with his shirt off during a global pandemic, I don’t know if I can take any slack from that man. That’s as bad as it gets for me.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner