Novak Djokovic insists ‘anything is possible’ as he ponders possibility of unbeaten season
Novak Djokovic believes he is capable of going the season unbeaten, but insists it is not his specific aim.
The Serb improved his 2020 record to 20-0 when he defeated Tennys Sandgren 6-2, 6-4 at the Western and Southern Open on Tuesday.
That, of course, includes five months of cancelled tournaments due to the coronavirus crisis, but an unbeaten season would still be unheard of.
“Anything is possible,” Djokovic said when asked if he can go the whole season unbeaten.
“I don’t want to count that out, because we don’t know what the post-US tour is going to look like, but it’s a long way.
“It’s not my goal to go unbeaten, but I wouldn’t complain if I do.”
Next up for Djokovic is German Jan-Lennard Struff, who admits that facing the world number one right now is daunting but he hopes he can be the man to end his winning streak.
“It’s crazy, just crazy,” Struff said of Djokovic’s record.
“But the more you win, there is always a chance that you lose at some point.
“Maybe he has the aim to go undefeated in this short season. You never know what happens.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner