Novak Djokovic: ‘I never thought it was impossible to catch Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer’
Novak Djokovic says he ‘never thought it was impossible’ to catch Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer in the Grand Slam race.
The Serbian won the French Open on Sunday to close to within one major of his two rivals.
Djokovic has spent his career playing catch-up to Federer and Nadal, although how he looks odds-on to overhaul almost every record they have set – and he always thought himself capable.
“I never thought it was a mission impossible to reach the Grand Slams of these guys,” Novak Djokovic said.
“I mean, I’m not there, but it’s one less. But they are still playing. Obviously they’re playing great, especially Rafa with his level.
“We all have still opportunities at Wimbledon, all the other slams. You have four slams a year, so we’re all competing for this amazing achievement and amazing trophies. I’ll keep on going. I’ll keep on chasing.
“At the same time I’ll keep on paving my own path, which is my own authentic path. We all three of us have our own journeys, and that’s it.”
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner